My Favorite Visual Studio Shortcuts and Snippets
I've been speaking at user groups and conferences for a long time now. Usually at these short talks I don't get asked much about how I use Visual Studio. But now that I am teaching Silverlight, my students are never shy about asking what I am doing while in Visual Studio. I am often amazed by how people use Visual Studio without learning some of my favorite hotkeys/snippets. Here are some of mine:
- Ctrl-Shift-B: Build Solution
- Ctrl-. (period): Show "Add Using/Imports" dropdown for unknown types.
- Ctrl-K, C: Comment Selection
- Ctrl-K, U: Uncomment Selection
- Ctrl-K, F: Format Section
- Ctrl-K, D: Format Document
- Ctrl-Space: Show Intellisense List
- Ctrl-Shift-V: Paste Loop - Hit Multiple Times to paste through the list of recent 'copies'
- Ctrl-F: Simple Find
- Ctrl-Shift-F: Find in Files
- Ctrl-H: Simple Replace
- Ctrl-Shift-H: Replace in Files
- Ctrl-N: New->Project Item
- Ctrl-Shift-N; New Project
- F9: Set Breakpoint
- Ctrl-Shift-R: Start/End Temporary Macro Recording
- Ctrl-Shift-P: Play Temporary Macro Recording
- F12; Navigate to Type (or metadata for Type) under the cursor
(To use these snippets, type the phrase and hit Tab twice)
- prop: Create a simple property in a class
- propg: Create a simple property with a public get and a private set
- foreach: Create a foreach block
- sldpc: Create a Silverlight Dependency Property*
* This snippet is from the Silverlight Contrib snippet collection.
What are yours?