As you can see, I recently updated this blog. I wrote the new blog using ASP.NET Core RC1 (as related technologies) so when time came to deploy it, I had some issues.
At the time I thought it was Azure, but after testing with an empty project that worked, I figured it was probably something I did. In this post, I’ll talk about what I did to get it to work in Azure Websites.
I recently added a logging provider to my open source project (WilderBlog). I know I shouldn’t have implemented a provider myself, but I wanted to see how the sausage was made.
The reality is that I should have used an existing library like Serilog or others, but digging into the logging framework taught be how the system works. I’m hoping to show you what I learned.
When I created my blog in ASP.NET Core, I forgot about one feature that I used to help out some other Pluralsight authors by creating a quick top 100 list of courses. Because Pluralsight doesn’t really expose that data as an API, I didn’t want to hammer their service, so I had been using a memory cache to do it.
But when I moved the code over, I realized that the old, reliable Cache object was missing. Luckily I found it and like much of ASP.NET Core, adding it was simple and consistent. Let me show you.
A while back, I decided that this blog deserved a clean coat of paint and since I’m digging into ASP.NET Core, it was logical to re-write it. I wanted more than just to change the look, I wanted to make some real changes to the code and finally open source the code too!
Open sourcing the code required that I do a few things. First of all, I had to change any code that I would be embarrassed by (not a trivial task), but also make it so that much of normal secrets weren’t exposed by open sourcing it (e.g. connection strings, etc.). But as of now, I’ve done it. The source is available and the site is live! I am sure that there are issues with the site, but hopefully I’ll iron those out as they crop up.
As you might know, in ASP.NET Core, the MVC6 stack now includes the Web API functionality. Having a single stack has advantages and I’m happy they’ve converged the two stacks.
While working with early builds, I noticed the patterns for doing content negotiation weren’t working as expected so I defaulted to the MVC approach to REST APIs. In the RC1 build, it seems to be working as expected. Let’s talk about it.
We’re in San Francisco today and I thought it would be a good time to write a quick update to the trip. As some of you know, we’re currently in the middle of a twenty-five city trip and so far so good.
Tomorrow night we do the event here in San Francisco (with the amazing Beth Massi as our guest) and I’m excited to do our sixth event. It’s been an amazing couple of weeks and we can’t wait for the rest of the trip to unfold.
In case you don’t know, at each stop of the http://hwroadtrip.com I’m doing a live recorded podcast as well as an hour talk about ASP.NET Core 1.0. We’re feeding everyone and giving away some great prizes by our sponsors including Pluralsight and Infragistics!
Now Angular 2 is in early beta and ASP.NET Core is in RC1 so I am taking a risk. I’m going to have a live webcast and I’ll build an Angular 2 app in an ASP.NET Core application. Come watch me walk the tightrope. No promises.
During each stop of the road trip, I’m recording an episode of the Hello World Podcast, then doing an hour talk about
ASP.NET 5 ASP.NET 1.0 Core!
|Vue.js by Example (New Lower Price)|
|Bootstrap 4 by Example (New Lower Price)|
|Intro to Font Awesome 5 (Free Course)|
|Building an API with ASP.NET Core (New Course)|
|Building a Web App with ASP.NET Core, MVC6, EF Core, Bootstrap and Angular (updated for 2.2)|
|Less: Getting Started (New)|
|Using Visual Studio Code for ASP.NET Core Projects|
|Implementing ASP.NET Web API|
|Application Name||WilderBlog||Environment Name||Production|
|Application Ver||v4.0.30319||Runtime Framework||x86|
|App Path||D:\home\site\wwwroot\||Runtime Version||.NET Core 4.6.27817.01|
|Operating System||Microsoft Windows 10.0.14393||Runtime Arch||X86|