My new Tivo
I’ve owned ReplayTV’s for years now. For those of you out there without a PVR, get one *now*! Magenic (the company I work for) recently gave it’s employees a Tivo for a holiday gift. I got the one with the DVD recorder in it and including some media features. So far I am very impressed.
What I like about Tivo so far:
- Tivo interface is slicker than the ReplayTV interface with more options.
- The recording options are quite good and a Season pass seems to work well.
- With an network USB device, I can listen to MP3s and look at pictures that are located on my home server. Eliminates the other device I had doing that.
- TV Listings are customizable, filter-able and has two types of formatting which I really like.
- 480p Output…'nuff said.
- Thumbs up and thumbs down is really interesting.
- Watching DVD’s and burning DVD’s…not specific to Tivo, but it makes a nice device.
Pet peeves about the Tivo:
- I could do without the incessant animations when switching from screen to screen.
- I wish that recording show at the same time every week was a little bit more straightforward than it is.
- I wish I could queue up songs instead of having to play a directory of songs, though I haven’t tried to see if playlists are supported.
- I wish that I could have the picture slideshow continuously looping.
- I wish that I could show pictures while listening to MP3’s.
- Network adapter should be included.
- Setting up the USB network adapter should work much much better than it does.
- Don’t send me adds for movies in theatre. I installed it in my ‘home theatre’ for a reason…if I can’t watch it now, don’t bother me.
- 30 second skip should be the default, not a hack that I have to do everytime the device resets itself.
Overall I am very happy with the unit. Better than my old ReplayTV? I actually prefer ReplayTV for the PVR features, but as a whole (with DVD, MP3, pictures etc.) it’s a great all in one unit. The PVR features are almost as good as ReplayTV. Note, I only own one TV so all the features about sharing shows around the house don’t concern me, so I don’t have an opinion.